The Toast should be given to a single person, or sometimes a group.
- In giving praise to someone, it should be mentioned why the praise is being given. In other words, a build-up of the person being honored is necessary.
- The name of the person should always be given last, keeping the audience in suspense until the very last moment.
- If possible, toast a person who has recently done something exceptional and focus on their achievements.
To give the toast:
- Stand and give background information on the person [for instance, the Queen].
- Then take your glass in your hand and say: “Will you please stand … [Wait until everyone is standing] and join me in a toast … to the Queen”.
- The phrase “to the Queen” is repeated by everyone, and everyone drinks.
After the toast, say: “Please be seated”, and sit down.
1-3 minutes in length.